how’s all that rain treatin’ ya? hopefully your basement is dry… definitely starting to look like summer around here, new releases are few and far between, but thankfully there are some neat reissues and what not, and just to make up the difference, we got some nice used vinyl the other day to keep your appetite satisfied.
also… it’s that time of the year again, i need a break, and the best way for me to do that stress free is to close for a week. so, please mark it on your calenders, we will be closed, monday july 30th to friday aug 3rd, and will reopen on saturday aug 4th.
…..pick of the week…..
*anworth kirk – shacklecross – pre-cert home entertainment – lp
– hot new release on one of my very favorite labels. sure to sell out, so don’t sleep… “anworth kirk casts a spellbinding sixth pre-cert edition with this mystic invocation of eldritch ritual music. divining inspiration from myriad and disparate fake-loric sources — egyptology, drug abuse, early freemasonry, carnatic music, oramics in ardwick, kommune pop and letterist actions, to name a few — this protagonist projects dank and discomforting electro-acoustic psych-scapes quite unlike anything already in circulation. reclaimed fragments of degenerated second-class sound are dredged from silty memory banks, soaked in ether and draped across a skeletal framework of possessed percussions and concrète bridges, plotting a labyrinthine course through hallucinatory interzones seldom travelled by the sane of mind. alchemical formulations of sampled textures catalyze noxious atmospheres; unheimlich apparitions bypass liminal dimensions, making connections between electric smithsonian releases and primitive mechanical industry, muddying the waters of sonic fiction until it’s too dense to make sense of anything. parts of this disc are presented in both stereo and mono and it is to be played at 45rpm with a low gram stylus pressure. 700 copies only.” here’s a clip off one of their previous releases…
*bliscappen van maria – bliscepen – fourth dimension – lp
– following several low-run self-releases, this is swiss group bliscappen van maria’s debut album proper, comprised of two sides of frazzled electronic swirl, drones, ethereal hums, guitars, percussion, banjo and the overall hue of the imaginary psychedelic western movie soundtrack. this comes highly recommended for all lovers of interstellar minimalism and the likes of circle, early pick floyd, ash ra tempel, tah mahal travellerset al.
crystalline – axe music – guerssen – lp+cd
– axe (also known as axe music and crystalline by the time they recorded their rare acetate) were an obscure british psych band led by acid-rock guitar player extraordinaire tony barford and graced by vivienne jones’ ethereal vocals. in 1970, they recorded a demo album of which only 12 copies were pressed on a 10″ acetate. here’s the first-ever straight reissue of this legendary artifact.100% unadulterated heavy psych and acid-rock sounds full of raw, fuzzed-out guitars and dreamy female vocals.
death from above 1979 – you’re a woman, i’m a machine – last gang – lp
– reissued again, now on black vinyl, because you missed it on record store day….
d’eon – lp – hippos in tanks – lp
– “an oratorio in four movements. a humanistic mix of electronic pop with devotional subject matter. continuing the musical themes of his previous two releases, d’eon uses layers of digital keyboards and drum machine beats to carve pop songs out of counterpoint melodies and unresolved chord progressions.”
dirty projectors – swing lo magellan – domino – lp/cd
– hm… i feel like i may have forgot to list this…. but it’s in and sellin’ like hot cakes. maybe you need one too….
bob dylan – life and life only – let them eat vinyl – lp
bob dylan – carnegie chapter hall 1961 – let them eat vinyl – lp
– two live performances from bob…
eprom – metahuman – rwina – lp
– the musical world of eprom is as colorful and delirious as the imagined psychedelic science-fiction worlds created by the artist moebius. metahuman is Eprom’s debut album, a bold statement of intent that is aimed squarely at the dancefloor first, though it still functions in other spaces as eprom balances more restrained moments alongside boisterous musical bravado. metahuman has roots in hip-hop that bleeds effortlessly into electronic and dance music.
*kim fowley – outrageous – vinilisssimo – lp
– reissue of this 1968 wild masterpiece and third album by one of rock’s true mavericks, kim fowley. fowley played with many bands throughout his career — mothers of invention, family, soft machine, cat stevens etc…. “the genius of this 1968 album is all contained in the dizzyingly portentous and truly whacked-out vocal delivery which fowley chooses to foist upon us, and it’s a delivery which, i might add, entirely pre-empted ’70s iggy pop and must have (at least temporarily) kicked jim morrison’s dick into the dust.”
future of the left – the plot against common sense – xtra mile – lp
– now in on vinyl… the new album from this post-mclusky outfit.
genius/gza – liquid swords – get on down – 2cd
– now available as a double cd! “disc one contains the official album version while disc two contains the full rza produced instrumentals, available for the first time ever as an official release. packaged with an array of extras, including; researched, in depth, full color liner notes with contributions from gza himself, spanning across 20 pages, inner jackets and dust sleeves with memorable vintage artwork from the original release, and even a full wooden miniature chess set.”
gigymen – s/t – guerssen – lp
– the first-ever reissue of this lost treasure, originally an obscure private pressing of just 100 copies. gigymen were a college circuit band from cambridge who in 1974 recorded their only album at spaceward studios. stunning folk-rock/folk-pop with pro-recorded sound, superb musicianship and strong songwriting. with influences ranging from fairport convention to the beatles.
golden retriever – occupied with the unspoken – thrill jockey – lp
– “golden retriever is the portland, or based duo of matt carlson (modular synthesizer) and jonathan sielaff (bass clarinet). occupied with the unspoken is their debut multi-format release, following a vinyl-only album on the highly influential root strata label, and many sold out cassettes and cdrss on imprints such as nna tapes, agents of chaos, and gift tapes.”
*cem karaca & mogollar – live in istanbul 1972 – turkish vinyl – lp
– “what can be said about cem karaca and mogollar that has not already been said before? they joined forces for a short period from 1973 until 1974, this collaboration was short lived with only 3 singles being released, making this live concert a real gem. we do know that their repertoire was more extensive than the recorded songs, that’s what makes this concert so great, only one of the songs here (‘sikayetname’) was released by this band (in 1977).”
willie lane – guitar army of one – cord-art – lp
– super awesome private press release by this mv & ee collaborator. some real cosmic spaced out guitar jams. real nice.
ondatropica – ondatropica – soundway – cd
– colombian musician mario galeano, the force behind the band frente cumbiero, and english producer will holland aka quantic, have joined forces to create the ondatropica project. supported by the british council, exists to explore and expand the tropical sound of colombia in its rawest form and to marry it with contemporary influences from around the world.
*outer space – outer space ii – blast first petite – lp
– john elliot is one third of emeralds. musically, this is an electronic smorgasbord of five trippy tropes that rip the inner light fantastic. II is the logical progression. It is an effort based on group format, and is an evolution from the debut outer space album. imagine the sounds are a liquid, with different masses and changing color. close attention to detail reveals more than what is seen on the surface.
rhythm machine – s/t – now again – lp+12″
– “the renowned show band’s sought after soul/funk masterpiece. remastered from the original tapes with three previously unreleased tracks included as a bonus 12″. contains a 12-page booklet with never before published photos and extensive liner notes.”
thin lizzy – s/t – light in the attic – lp
– “when scrolling down a list of debut lps by rock’s heaviest hitters, thin lizzy is as unheralded as they come. long before the group’s trademark ‘twin-guitar’ sound was born and anthems like ‘the boys are back in town’ became instant hall-of-fame material, the street tough irish group was a dynamic power trio consisting of guitarist eric bell, singing bass player philip lynott, and sticksman brian downey. thin lizzy fused folk, hard rock, lyrical poetry, and a dose of celtic lore in a heady brew that despite its potency, sold poorly at the time of release.”
white hills – live at roadburn 2011 – roadburn – lp
– “outer battery records, in conjunction with roadburn records in holland, is pleased to announce the domestic vinyl pressing from space rock kings white hills – recorded live at the legendary roadburn festival! with art by david d’andrea (sleep, black mountain, om).”
various – buttons: starter kit – numero group – 2lp
– “our entry-level power pop compilation features 20 songs from the original 004, plus two bonus cuts, new liners, tons of sleeve scans, photos, and ephemera, all housed in a spot varnished, brickthick gatefold sleeve. artists include tomst, trend, colors, treble boys, and sponsors, randy winburn and tommy rock, luxury, bats and tweeds.”
various – buttons: from champaign to chicago – numero group – 2lp/cd
– “an homage to the prairie state numero calls home, from champaign to chicago is a 19-track survey of illinois’ cheapest tricks. reaching back to 1973 and peoria outliers the jets and ending in 1987 with romeoville’s julian leal and his dick clark approved ‘get away,’ from champaign to chicago connects, via map, pins, and string, the various scenes that pockmarked the face of the land of lincoln.”
various – country funk 1969 – 1975 – light in the attic – cd
– “what in the hell is country funk you ask? the answer is a complicated one, in part due to the fact that country funk is an inherently defiant genre, escaping all efforts at easy categorization. the style encompasses the elation of gospel with the sexual thrust of the blues, country hoedown harmony with inner city grit. it is alternately playful and melancholic, slow jammin’, and booty shakin’. it is both studio slick and barroom raw. and while these all may seem unlikely combinations at first glance, upon close listen, it all makes sweet sense.”
*various – strange passion – b-music – cd
– explorations in irish post punk diy and electronic music 1980-83. “focusing on a three year period from 1980 to 1983, strange passion is a compilation of rare, unheralded and unreleased irish music that emerged after the first wave of punk and new wave bands. a time when the raw primitive sounds of punk began to absorb new ideas and technologies and emerging acts were reaching audiences on an unprecedented scale.”
beatles – rubber soul – apple – lp
beatles – magical mystery tour – capitol – lp
beatles – sgt. peppers lonely hearts club band – capitol – lp
david bowie – aladdin sane – rca – lp
david bowie – ziggy stardust – rca – lp
dr. john – gumbo – atco – lp
jade warrior – s/t – vertigo – lp
jade warrior – last autumn’s dream – vertigo – lp
led zeppelin – ii – atlantic – lp
led zeppelin – iii – atlantic – lp
led zeppelin – physical grafitti – atlantic – lp
led zeppelin – song remains the same – atlantic – 2lp
john lennon – walls & bridges – emi – lp
john lennon/yoko ono – double fantasy – geffen – lp
bob marley & the wailers – birth of a legend – calla – 2lp
bob marley & the wailers – rasta revolution – trojan – lp
bob marley & the wailers – blackout – splash – lp
bob marley & the wailers – soul revolution – splash – lp
bob marley & the wailers – shakedown – splash – lp
wilson pickett – miz lena’s boy – rca – lp
pink floyd – dark side of the moon – harvest – lp
pink floyd – meddle – harvest – lp
pink floyd – the wall – columbia – lp
pink floyd – wish you were here – columbia – lp
ras michael & the sons of negus – rastafari – vulcan – lp
rolling stones – exile on main st. – rolling stones – lp
rolling stones – goats head soup – warner – lp
rolling stones – some girls – warner – lp
rolling stones – sucking in the 70s – warner – lp
runaways – s/t – mercury – lp
sly & the family stone – high energy – lp
the soul mates – black strap molasses – condor – lp
peter tosh – mama africa – emi – lp
stevie wonder – hotter than july – tamla – lp
neil young – american stars ‘n bars – reprise – lp
neil young – comes a time – reprise – lp
alice in chains – jar of flies/sap – music on vinyl – 2lp
*ariel pink – house arrest – paw tracks – lp
*chubby checker – chequered – sunbeam – lp
*suzanne ciani – lixiviation – b-music – cd
hollins & starr – sidewalks – lion – lp
*ilaiyaraaja – fire star – bombay connection – cd
i roy – gussy presenting – sunspot – lp
etta james – at last – doxy – lp+cd
*omar khorshid – guitar el chark – sublime frequencies – 2cd
*nazoranai – s/t – idealogic organ – lp
queens of the stone age – lullabies for the deaf – music on vinyl – lp
*chrissy zebby tembo – my ancestors – shadoks – lp
twin shadow – confess – true panther – lp/cd
moritz von oswald trio – fetch – honest jons – lp
*various – psych funk sa-re-ga! – world psych funk classics – lp
thanks for listening…..
10443a – 124 street