happy spring! ugh. anyway, as i had hoped, due to last week’s monstrous list, this week’s news letter is, at least comparatively, brief. anyway, play safe, drive safe, build a snow man.
…..pick of the week…..
*various – django unchained – mercury – lp
– original soundtrack to the 2012 motion picture written and directed by quentin tarantino. the film stars jamie foxx, christoph waltz, leonardo dicaprio, kerry washington and samuel l. jackson. django (foxx) is a slave living in the deep south after having been separated from his wife broomhilda (washington). when django is held for a slave auction, dr. king schultz (waltz), a bounty hunter who poses as a dentist, frees django from his vicious masters, the speck brothers (james remar and james russo), and gives him the option of hunting down and killing the brittle brothers, a ruthless gang of killers whom only django has seen. in return, schultz will free django from slavery completely and help rescue broomhilda from the plantation of the charming but ruthless owner, calvin candie (dicaprio). as you may know, tarantino soundtracks are killer… you probably need this. killer morricone cuts and more.
babysitter – eye – psychic handshake – lp
– for their debut full-length, ‘eye’, british columbia’s babysitter have compiled a forceful and catchy collection of raucous rock and roll. with its skewed take on anthemic grunge, the electrifying album is a welcome addition to a roster that includes genre-bending records by drainolith, red mass, sex church, tonstartssbandht, and the first two editions of yamantaka//sonic titan’s polaris prize short-listed yt//st. a punkish grunge-and-roll that recalls the wipers, archers of loaf, pavement, and neil young. now, with eye, the band’s adrenalized rock and roll has evolved into a mature statement on the revolutionary zeal that animates this fundamentally absurd pursuit.
cave singers – naomi – jagjaguwar – lp
– if every story is a story about love, what of suffering, surrender, and redemption? life says they’re in there too. along with traffic jams and dishes, jobs and sunsets and spilling all the red wine on the floor. all of it. naomi, the fourth record from northwestern mystics the cave singers, is a totem to these things: the every, any, all ways, always of life. written over the span of ten months and recorded in one, it bears a new and more expansive production style that captures the live performance energy the band has developed over the past five years. the 12-song set was engineered and produced at avast studios in seattle by phil ek (fleet foxes, built to spill, shins, modest mouse).
*jimi hendrix – are you experienced (mono uk version) – reprise – lp
– individually numbered mono pressing on 200 gram audiophile vinyl. the debut release from the jimi hendrix experience is widely regarded as the greatest, most influential debut release from any artist. are you experienced has long been acknowledged as one of the most influential rock albums of all time. there are, however, two distinctly different editions of this legendary album. the original version, prepared and sequenced by jimi and producer chas chandler, was issued throughout europe in may 1967. this album excludes the group’s first three uk singles. there has never been a mono release of this album in the us. this original monophonic mix has been transferred from the original master tapes by noted mastering engineer bernie grundman. grundman’s all analog mono mastering process helps to present the vitality of the original recording as accurately as possible.
*jimi hendrix – are you experienced (mono) – lp
– individually numbered mono pressing on 200 gram audiophile vinyl. the debut release from the jimi hendrix experience is widely regarded as the greatest, most infuential debut release from any artist. are you experienced has long been acknowledged as one of the most infuential rock albums of all time. the classic us edition of the album was only available in mono for a brief period after its original august 1967 release. this version features the classic fish-eye cover and includes such hits as ‘purple haze’ and ‘hey joe’. this original monophonic mix has been transferred from the original master tapes by noted mastering engineer bernie grundman. grundman’s all analog mono mastering process helps to present the vitality of the original recording as accurately as possible.
*jimi hendrix – axis: bold as love (mono) – reprise – lp
– individually numbered mono pressing on 200 gram audiophile vinyl. the sensational sophomore release of the jimi hendrix experience highlights hendrix’s own evolving musical experimentalism and acknowledges his early musical influences of soul and r&b. remastered from the original two-track mixdown master tapes, axis: bold as love’s 13-songs show the evolving trio as they neared the height of their career. features the seminal classics ‘spanish castle magic’, ‘little wing’, ‘castles made of sand’, and the classic easy rider anthem, ‘if 6 was 9’. the original monophonic mixes have been transferred from the original master tapes using grundman’s all analog mono mastering process.
hollerado – white paint – royal mountain – lp
– hollerado is a juno award nominated canadian indie rock band formed in 2007 and originally from ottawa, ontario, canada. “it’s been almost four years since hollerado released their debut full-length, record in a bag, as a digital download in 2009 (it was subsequently reissued). now, the fast-rising canadian power pop band have officially announced the follow-up. entitled white paint, it’s due out on february 2013 via the band’s own royal mountain records. like record in a bag, the new disc was produced by gus van go (the stills, rah rah, priestess). there’s no word as to exactly what the collection will sound like, but a press release promises an “impressively mature” 11 songs.” – exclaim.ca
the men – new moon – sacred bones – lp
– with their fourth full-length album to be released in as many years, the men proudly present the sweeping new moon, the most intensely personal and immersive installment yet. never content to draw on the same methods twice, nor to recline under the heel of expectation, the men quit the city in early 2012 to head for big indian, ny – transforming a remote catskills locale into a full-edged stray-dog studio home. entering with only the most skeletal sketches, the house was selected as an incubator for its technical limitations. familiar faces remain, the core of guitarists nick chiericozzi and mark perro, with drummer rich samis all returning from last year’s much-acclaimed open your heart. however, inroads have since been made to previously unreachable trails, as close friend and producer ben greenberg (pygmy shrews, hubble, zs) officially joins the ranks as bassist on paper, and full-bore, compositional partner in practice. in tandem, wayward brother kevin faulkner occupies his most substantial sphere to date, dreaming aloud on lap steel guitar. the men’s oft-cited commitment to their “no-one-is-frontman” maxim surely insists itself all the more emphatically here…so much so that it practically creates a new band in the process. this smiling observance induces a fresh fluidity amongst their roles and instrumentation, incorporating at various junctures piano, mandolin, harmonica, four-part vocal harmonies and even no-impact harsh noise. new moon is simultaneously an expansion of palette and a contraction of focus, hedged with as much leading dirge and ecstatic abandon, as it is genuine saccharine steel-string levity and an ever-tightening, no apologies pop concision. summarily, it is a love letter devoted in bowed humility to the grand continuum, exposing the hoax of the great divide. allegiances to the glowing patinas of detroit and san francisco, new york and nashville all abound, but ‘nostalgia’ is not her name. the band’s clear ethos is to revisit but never retread.
my bloody valentine – mbv – mbv – lp/cd
– vinyl is on 180 gram with a gatefold sleeve and cd inserted in card a wallet to a cut inside the gatefold along with an 8 page booklet. yes!!! my bloody valentine are back, 22 years later, with one of the most highly anticipated releases of the year!!.. receiving rave reviews from all music publications!!
sam roberts – inhuman condition – paper bag – lp
– for the first time ever since its 2002 release, the inhuman condition is being released on vinyl. this six-song ep marked the breakthrough for canadian favourite sam roberts. the inhuman condition has reached certified gold status and sold over 50,000 copies to date, making it one of the most successful and bestselling ep’s by a canadian band in the history of canadian recorded music. the inhuman condition, was a heaven-sent prophecy from the classic-pop gods translated into street-level terms, and while there was no denying sam’s way with ultra-addictive melody, he also displayed astonishing breadth in just six tracks, from knockout power-pop punches (‘don’t walk away eileen) and moody folk mysticism (‘brother down,’ the official soundtrack of summer 2002) to extended psych-pop jams (‘where have all the good people gone?) and middle-finger-waving rockers (‘this is how i live’).
strokes – comedown machine – rca – lp
– the strokes announce their highly anticipated fifth studio album comedown machine. the strokes consist of julian casablancas (lead vocals), nick valensi (guitar), albert hammond, jr. (guitar), nikolai fraiture (bass) and fabrizio moretti (drums). the band has released four studio albums, is this it (2001), room on fire (2003), first impressions of earth (2006) and angles (2011) which have sold over 5 million albums worldwide. “they sound like themselves – those taut, rhythmical jabs, stabs of guitar underpinning julian casablancas’s dozily sighed vocals – but nothing like themselves at the same time. the shrill manga-pop of one way trigger, release as a free download at the end of january, is a perfect taster for the rest of the record. just as that song had people wondering if the strokes had discovered a-ha, there’s an ‘80s groove hip-swivelling its way right through the core of comedown machine. in their own dysfunctional way, the strokes sound like they’ve having fun.” – niall doherty, q magazine.
various – nippon girls – big beat – lp
– “nippon girls” is a celebration of the female side of japan’s 1960s pop scene. the lp comprises a dozen highlights from the cd of the same title issued on our big beat international logo a couple of years back, one of our recent top sellers. compiled by dj sheila burgel, a former tokyo resident, the “nippon girls” cd raised a few eyebrows here at ace hq, but girl-pop maven sheila knew what she was doing. the collection drew rave reviews, becoming something of a left-field hit with the club crowd and young hipster types.
sam cooke – night beat – music on vinyl – lp
*miles davis – bitches brew – music on vinyl – 2lp
j dilla – donuts – stones throw – lp
*ensemble pearl – s/t – drag city – lp/cd
allen ginsberg – first blues – ginsberg – lp
*hawkwind – space ritual – rock classics – lp
*tim hecker/daniel lopatin – instrumental tourist – software – lp/cd
*blind willie mctell – complete recorded works vol 1 – thirdman – lp
*charlie patton – complete recorded works vol 1 – thirdman – lp
pink floyd – dark side of the moon – emi – lp
pink floyd – wish you were here – emi – lp
radiohead – pablo honey – emi – lp
tegan & sara – heartthrob – warner – lp
*robert wyatt – dondestan – domino – lp
*robert wyatt – old rottenhat – domino – lp
*robert wyatt – rock bottom – domino – lp
*robert wyatt – schlep – domino – lp
chad van gaalen – infiniheart – flemish eye – lp
chad van gaalen – diaper island – flemish eye – lp
weakerthans – reconstruction site – epitaph – lp
*various – nuggets – rhino – lp
*various – personal space – chocolate industries – lp
thanks for listening….
10443a -124 street