ugh, you know it’d be nice if i didn’t have to catch EVERY cold my kids get. anyway, loads of new stuff in, and loads more in the coming weeks too… good thing you just got your student loan….
as mentioned last week… due to travel plans and life in general, it looks like we will be needing another part-timer around here. please drop off a resume with your top ten albums of all time, 2012, top ten beers, and uh… something else cool. ya. we’re looking at a start date sometime in early october, so we need resume’s by the end of sept.
also… looks like me/we will be spinning records at the common again on sept 26th. come on down and freakout.
.….pick of the week…..
*alvarius b. – alvarius b. – abduction – 2lp
– in tomorrow… i warned you last week… “originally released in 1998 as a limited edition vinyl 2lp — the second alvarius b. (alan bishop/sun city girls) full-length release. perhaps the most deranged collection of original folk songs ever cut to wax. dark, twisted & apocalyptic with razor twang acoustic guitar & vocal delivery, this epic lo-fi cassette deconstruction/demolition of everything “folk-singer-songwriter” slipped under the radar to a few lucky souls who grabbed the original pressing of this when it showed up 14 years ago. here is your chance to get it again housed in the exact 2lp gatefold jacket as the original with lyrics to all 39 tracks printed inside, strictly limited to 400 copies. “i think it’s fair to say that in ab we have the most inspiring and wholesome, cussing, violent and truthful musical interpenetrator of the psychic realities that has probably ever graced this fair and fucked land.” –trey spruance.” i think it’s fair to say this album is totally awesome and you need it, but i got massively shorted so don’t sleep, this will be gone in a blink.
*amanar – alghaflat – mississippi – lp
– tuareg guitar from northern mali by kidal’s hometown band. a different side of desert blues with high energy gritty guitar sessions that are popular favorites. recorded at a local studio in 2008 during the last uprising, the music is very poignant as the north has again fallen into rebellion and the band is scattered in exile. the title translates as “peace”. includes detailed liner notes in tifinagh.
david byrne & st. vincent – love this giant – 4ad – lp/cd
– recorded over two years, largely at water music in hoboken, nj, the album is a collaboration in the truest sense of the word, with byrne ands t. vincent (aka annie clark) co-writing ten of the album’s twelve tracks, and each artist penning one song individually. the album centers around an explosive brass band and is propelled by john congleton’s drum programming. the dap-kings and antibalas are also featured on “the one who broke your heart”.
calexico – algiers – anti – cd
– some 22 years since they first formed, calexico have added yet another successful musical adventure to their list in the way of algiers. recognizably classic calexico but their style has been revitalized and reborn by the experience of recording in new orleans.
chromatics – kill for love – italians do it better – lp
– now available on vinyl!!! the chromatics return with the soundtrack to a film of their own imagination. seventeen tracks. teceived an 8.7 best new music rating from pitchfork. packaged in jackets with silver foil back covers with an insert and download, pressed on colored vinyl.
otis clay – i can’t take it – fat possum – lp
– otis clay made most of his best-known records in memphis during the early ‘70s, but he’s still universally hailed as chicago’s deep soul king. in a city filled to overflowing with legendary blues artists, clay has become the proud standard-bearer for chicago’s enduring soul tradition.
*corum – beguiling isles: born of earth’s torments – psychic sounds – lp
– “beautiful melodies waft in and out of your consciousness like a humid island ether. it’s a travelogue, hypnotizing and also lulling. it’s easy to fall under corum’s island spells producing sweaty aural excitement and imagining the ‘Sspecter of polar reversal,’ as described in the liner notes, twinkling it’s eye before the volcanic explosion of horns, drums and keys lay down a lush rush of eerie tropical groove. limited edition of 200 lps with screenprinted packages by corum. highly recommended!”
*brian crook – bathysphere – meds – lp
– first time vinyl issue of bathysphere, the debut solo album by brian crook (of such estimable bands as the renderers, terminals, max block, scorched earth policy, etc.). originally released on cd in 2000. bathysphere stalks the same haunted terrain as the renderers but with an even more isolated and experimental feel. tom lax of siltbreeze called this album brian’s like flies on sherbert in reference to the legendarily damaged solo album alex chilton recorded after big star.
deadbeat – eight – blkrtz – lp
– in tomorrow… unquestionably of dub techno’s greatest champions. deadbeat once again sets sail into uncharted waters with his latest hour long salvo, humbly entitled eight. proceeding over eight tracks and a wide range of tempos, and featuring collaborations with fellow canadians danuel tate, mathew jonson, and outer national techno prankster dandy jack, eight is without a doubt the most upfront, muscular deadbeat record to date.
matthew dear – beams – ghostly – lp/cd
– while the album’s dancefloor-ready tempos, major keys, and sun-warmed synths signal beams as the lighter, brighter response to its predecessor, closer inspection reveals a squirming mass of oddball details. dear’s latest productions creak and groan like anxious organisms, with slivers of guitar, electric bass, and drum kit darting in and out among the synths and samples.
divine fits – a thing called divine fits – merge – lp/cd
– divine fits are the latest venture for dan boeckner (ex-handsome furs, wolf parade), britt daniel (spoon), and sam brown (new bomb turks). producer nick launay, whose lengthy list of credits includes work with arcade fire, talking heads, kate bush, and lou reed, helmed the sessions.
ricardo donoso – assimilating the shadow – digitalis – 2lp
– in tomorrow… informed by deep house, slowed-down trance and club influences, this new album unfolds to reveal elaborate sonic labyrinths that emerge out of the burning embers of dance music. it’s an album that harks back to the beginnings of dance music but which somehow sidesteps the usual revivalist signatures that have become all too familiar in recent years, instead opting for a rhythmically complex variant that echoes early jean michel jarre, cluster, manuel göttsching and speedy j but with a strange compositional quality quite unlike any of its influences.
eddy current suppression ring/uv race – live at missing link – almost ready – lp
– live at missing link records – may 2nd 2008. great sets from australia’s finest! comes with full color sleeve, two sided insert, and download card of entire show! edition of 800 on black vinyl.
epsilons – s/t – young cubs – lp
– handclaps please for the debut release from the real oc’s garage rock foursome. fourteen blistering songs that snap crackle pop and just want to love you. this is where ty segall and charlie moonheart started.
mark feehan – mf – siltbreeze – lp
– most likely best remembered as the “other” cold-blooded string-mangler that shredded synapses through the siltbreeze era of harry pussy two decades ago. a lively mix of guitar-based compositions steeped in modal harmonics that explode into miasmic, aural waves, transporting emanations of phil yost, magical power mako, michael chapman and hans reichel into the mind stream. swirling, spacey eddies will open like maelstroms and flood your subconscious. limited edition of 350 copies.
fennesz – fa 2012 – editions mego – 12″
– in tomorrow… this special 12″ features new versions of the track “fa,” taken from fennesz’s 1997 debut solo album hotel paral.lel. 15 years after its initial release, christian fennesz gives this throbbing monster of a track a new seeing to, extending it and adding more of that magic he is so well known for.
fist city – it’s 1983 grow up – black tent – lp+cd
– “from the unlikely locale of lethbridge, alberta, riot-punk rippers that’ll leave your head spinning. following a series of gritty releases, fist city’s sophomore lp it’s 1983, grow up! wipes off a few previous layers of scuzz to reveal the catchy set of tunes that were there all along. from surf-rock to shoegaze and a twisted strain of new wave, the supercharged collection sounds like a band reinvented.”
hallock hill – union/a hem of evening – mie music – 2lp
– tom lecky stacks and layers acoustic, electric and lap steel guitars, delivering a new kind of studio improvisation—spontaneously made, yet feeling composed, gliding from harmonious to dissonant. a hem of evening: six interlocking acoustic pieces that extend the structural themes of the union’s central acoustic tracks. lecky again works with a range of overlapping improvisations and twisted melodic weavings, but here within a more naked and spare atmosphere.
*karuna khyal – alomoni 1985 – phoenix – lp
– in tomorrow… karuna khyal’s album alomoni 1985, originally released on voice records around 1976, is widely acknowledged as years ahead of its time, preceding other japanese underground experimental outfits such as fushitsusha and white heaven by almost 20 years. the band’s musical influences are, if anything, more germanic than japanese, with long, hypnotic free-form rock passages, a heavy use of tape loops, electronics, environmental sounds, distortion and backwards tapes underpinning some manic harmonica-playing on some gut-wrenching blues dirges. can, faust and guru furu clearly had an influence on the band, as did captain beefheart and pere ubu. not much is known about the band’s line-up, although it is widely thought there was some crossover in personnel with brast burn.
locrian & christopher heemann – s/t – handmade birds – lp
– in tomorrow… “locrian and christoph heemann, two of the most powerful forces in sound manipulation and experimental everything, (not in the pretentious sense, but in the honest to goodness there-will-be-textbooks-written-about-this pioneering of music), come together in what is one of the most landmark collections of musical composition ever put on record. this divinatory release harkens of worlds to come. more than an album, locrian and christoph heemann have created a hymn of our civilization.”
loop – heaven’s end – reactor – lp
– british primal psych band loop was formed in london in 1986 and put out their debut full-length, 1987’s heavens end. the band hypnotized all with their discordant, trance-like spell which served as an antidote to the prevailing trends in british pop at the time; they resurrected the concept of loud, out-there rock for a new era, creating droning soundscapes of bleak beauty and harsh dissonance loosely influenced by the velvet underground, the stooges, the mc5, but retaining the avant-garde and experimental edge of can, faust, neu!, rhys chatham, glenn branca, and minimalist systems music.
loscil – sketches from new brighton – kranky – lp/cd
– this sixth full length album from kranky mainstay scott morgan sees his pulsing compositions gently unfolding in the understated fashion that has become his trademark. he designs a sonic architecture, slowly constructing, making subtle additions and subtractions, until an almost tactile virtual space is formed. inside these spaces an aural feng shui is achieved, where less is more, where every element is in its place, and where maximum harmony is attained through the masterly placement of sound.
*jean-pierre mirouze – le mariage collectif ost – born bad – lp
– in tomorrow… unissued anywhere else before, and now available for the first time ever, a lost soundtrack found in a parisian garbage dump. in 1971, a very few copies were made on acetate in an attempt to attract the interest of record labels. one was miraculously found in july, 2010 in a paris garbage dump. thanks — ironically — to the song “sexopolis,” it became the holy grail for worldwide collectors of film music.
r. stevie moore – hearing aid – megaphone – 2lp
– in tomorrow… r. stevie moore’s music sounds like so many different things, yet like no one else. he’s been making home recordings since the late ’60s as an underground artist and only now is he seeing a much larger recognition of his work. hearing aid is a collection of stevie’s songs that cover a wide range of variety: pop genius, sublime instrumental country surf, electronic experiments, bizarre spoken-word theater, dark disco rock, field recordings, etc. the end result is not a “greatest hits” collection but rather a diverse sculpture of the early world of r. stevie moore.
thee oh sees – putrifiers II – in the red – lp
– the latest in a long line of oh sees albums that expands the group’s sound well past your friendly neighborhood garage band. scott walker, the velvet underground, the zombies and the experimental japanese act les rallizes denudes are but a small taste of what informed thee oh sees this time around, as dwyer returned to the multi-instrumental ways of castlemania.
*jim o’rourke – old news #8 – old news – 2lp
– in tomorrow… more archival works from jim o’rourke see the light of day on old news #8. recorded in 1991-1992. originally released as part of disengage by staalplaat. jeff cortazzo (trombone), sue wolf (cello), michael prime (shortwave), geoff fontaine (voice), gretchen wells, matt guerierri, scott shell.
pallbearer – sorrow and extinction – 20 buck spin – 2lp
– a crushingly heavy and beautifully melancholy piece of traditional doom metal, sorrow and extinction reveals more layers with each listen. brett campbell’s incredible vocals, soaring above the twin guitar melodies and megalithic doom riffs, give the lp a uniqueness and confidence rarely found in a band on their debut album. this double-vinyl issue is the highly anticipated definitive edition of sorrow and extinction.
rotomagus – sky turns red: a complete anthology – lion – 2lp
– there’s no way to know why cbs records unceremoniously dumped rotomagus and the chico magnetic band after one single apiece; suffice to say that decision was a poor one, as both bands have (quite rightly) developed a cult-like following over the years. all in all, the artistic trajectory of rotomagus was peculiar: they started out as a harmony pop-psych band, shifted through a brief jimi hendrix-ian interlude, straight into a vanilla fudge groove; they then went down in flames as a hair-raising monolithic heavy rock power trio. hard to believe this is all pre-1971, as much of the demo is not just proto punk but proto hardcore—with enough fiery attitude to make you want to scream along. the vocals are wild, while the guitar riffs and grinds and approaches a stooges via motorhead apocalyptic grandeur. amazing!
*giuliano sorgini – living dead at the manchester morgue – death waltz – lp
– in tomorrow… “the score to this classic zombie film by giuliano sorgini pre dates suspiria by 3 years and every time i hear it i can’t help but think goblin used this as a benchmark for suspiria, the score features a great mix of 60’s psych driven breaks with the lushest strings you’ll ever hear, pulsing electronics and some terrifying wailing screams from hell itself.”
stars – the north – soft revolution – lp
– the band’s sixth full-length, was recorded in montreal’s historic rca victor studios and was produced by stars, graham lessard and marcus paquin (arcade fire). “the music brims with optimism, full of major chords, sparkling synthetic sounds and tireless electronic beats” – new york times.
sun araw – inner treaty – sun ark – lp
– “the inner treaty is sun araw’s first album after recording with the congos in jamaica, [and] it might be worth highlighting the potential ways in which his time there has affected his creative outlook. in an interview with the quietus, he remarks, “the trip was really a paradigm shift. it was an affirmation of things that i’ve been investigating for a long time, and in our subsequent trips down there that shift has been confirmed and solidified.”
wild nothing – nocturne – captured tracks – lp
– the obsessiveness of ‘nocturne’ is inherent in it’s gentle harmonies, orchestrated synths, wandering voice, and songs that speak of his post-gemini experiences as he explores new paradoxes of pop. and yet nocturne’ isn’t obvious, it is a strange and distinctive musical beast, the product of an obsessive pop vision that creates its own reality.
*woods – bend beyond – woodsist – lp/cd
– “for their seventh album, woods got dark. it’s not that they weren’t dark before—when you really get in there and listen, jeremy earl is singing about some heavy stuff, but it’s hidden under his gorgeous falsetto and sometimes obtuse lyrics. on bend beyond, though, earl and company fully embrace that darkness. while previous albums sounded like they went directly from earl’s brain to tape with minimal outside interference, bend beyond is lush and full-bodied, the work of a band in perfect, heavy harmony.”
xx – coexist – young turks – lp/dlx lp/cd
– the xx follow up their 2009 self-titled, mercury prize-winning debut album, with “coexist”. where xx lent in close to whisper in your ear, “coexist” gazes warmly in your eyes. ‘coexist’ is an album of confident adult reflection, finds itself on the other side of heartbreak, when the light returns.
various – surinam! – kindred spirits – 2lp
– boogie & disco funk from the surinamese dance floors ’76-’83. a compilation filled with disco and boogie gems from surinam between 1976-1983. the surinam! compilation features 10 rare tracks within the surinamese boogie-funk genre. key players from the ’76-’83 era such as solat, sumy, erwin bouterse, reingoud and thunderstorm are all included. the compilation also features extensive liner notes containing in-depth information on all the artists on the compilation. this album is the first volume in the surinam! series. the other upcoming issues will focus on the other genres of obscure surinamese music, such as jazz and soul.
beach boys – smile sessions – emi – lp
beirut – gulag orkestar – ba da bing – lp
*circuit rider – s/t – numero – lp
*crass – christ the album – crass – 2lp
*dead c – harsh 70s reality – siltbreeze – lp
exploding hearts – shattered – dirtnap – lp
exploding hearts – guitar romantic – dirtnap – lp
son house – father of folk blues – columbia – lp
*michael hurley – back home with drifting woods – mississippi – lp
the men – immaculada – deranged – lp
*ennio morricone – crime & dissonance – ipecac – 2cd
natural child – for the love of the game – burger – lp
*om – conference of birds – holy mountain – lp
*om – advaitic songs – drag city – lp/cd
*oneohtrix point never – replica – software – lp
television – s/t – 4 men with beards – lp
*mayo thompson – cory’s debt to his father – drag city – lp
jack white – blunderbuss – thirdman – lp
white lung – sorry – deranged – lp
*various – buttons: a starter kit – numero – 2lp
*various – eccentric soul: smart’s palace – numero – 2lp
various – hidden tapes – minimal wave – lp
*various – personal space – chocolate industries – lp
various – rip off comp – sing sing – lp
thanks for listening…..
10443a – 124 street