huh, snow. and me and the boy biked to school this morning. oh well. not a heck of a lot of new stuff in this week, but that’s quite alright cuz you should be more interested in the used stuff we got this week anyway. read on….
…..pick of the week…..
– you may have read or heard in the news that the cbc was liquidating their music archives. what maybe wasn’t clear in what you may have read, was that a lot of stuff was being sent to toronto to keep one centralized and as complete as possible. so after that happened, i was able to go in and pull some stuff for the shop. now, contrary to what one would think, and likely due to the fact that this archive has been moved a few times prior to this location, it was not necessarily the treasure trove that one would expect, not to say i didn’t pull some pretty cool records, but there were not any truly mega rare canadian gems or anything like that. but there are over 500 really cool used records sitting here just waiting for you to rifle through and take home a part of the cbc’s edmonton archive. everything i grabbed is in vg+ or better condition as far as the vinyl itself is concerned. hell, many of these things have never been played. the covers are a different matter, while they are all intact and in reasonably good condition, they did come from a radio archive, so they are taped along the spines and have cataloging stickers on the covers. some a lot more than others, some it all peels off and leaves nary a trace, others it’s on there for good, but things are being priced accordingly, so as long as you are more concerned with listening to the record than putting the cover in a frame on your wall, there are some really great lps here at really nice prices. due to the quantity of stuff, i’m not going to list everything, but i have listed some below in the …..used….. section to give you an idea of what is in here to motivate you to come and dig through this stuff before it’s all gone.
axxess – novels for the moons – medical – lp
– “originally released in 1983, axxess is the brainchild of french multimedia artist patrick mimran. heavily influenced by german electronic pioneers klaus schulze, tangerine dream, and kraftwerk, mimran commissioned the german engineer andreas bahrdt to build a custom complex synthesizer which eventually materialized into a sixteen voice analog synthesizer of genius proportions. this will certainly appeal to fans of early progressive synth records, sequencer-heavy tangerine dream period, cosmic disco, and other lovers of all things early-electronic.”
burial/four tet – nova – text – 12″
– one-sided limited 12″ from burial and four tet.
fenn o’berg – in hell – editions mego – lp
– superb collection of fenn o’berg jams from their 2010 japan tour. while maintaining the sophistication of the in stereo sessions and tour, these recordings hark back to some classic 20th century fenn o’berg fare, complete with the odd cheeky samples. fenn o’berg are: christian fennesz, jim o’rourke and peter rehberg.
laura marling – i speak because i can – ribbon – lp
laura marling – alas i cannot swim – ribbon – lp
– vinyl reissues of the first two albums from this songstress who’s newest album has been blowing up!
*daphne oram – the oram tapes vol 1 – young american – 2cd
– now available on cd! two years in the making, this 39-track deluxe 2cd edition features two hours of previously-unreleased material from daphne oram’s archives. none of this material has ever been available before and has been compiled and restored from over 400 tapes at the daphne oram collection at goldsmiths college, london.
*lee ranaldo – between the times and the tides – matador – lp/cd
– sonic youth guitarist lee ranaldo puts out his first proper, song-oriented studio album. recorded with longstanding sonic youth producer john agnello, the album is a shimmering and melodic tapestry of rock sounds. ranaldo’s trademark alternate-tuning guitar work is at the forefront, but it is amplified by brilliant leadwork from wilco’s nels cline on every track. also includes sonic youth’s steve shelley on drums, alan licht on guitar, and john medeski on keyboards.
rocket juice & the moon – s/t – honest jons – cd
– the debut album from super-group rocket juice & the moon. comprised of damon albarn (blur), flea (red hot chili peppers) and tony allen (fela kuti) with erykah badu, fatoumata diawara, cheick tidiane seck, m.anifest and hypnotic brass ensemble. a triumphant exploration and proliferation of kinetic afro-funk rhythms: organic, exuberant, communal music-making. from the inaugural bars, the liquid pulse of fela kuti’s classic recordings drives the action through a suite of 18 shape-shifting compositions.
scuba – personality – hotflush – lp
– now in on vinyl! scuba is the production and dj alias of paul rose, the curator of hotflush recordings, a label which, having released some of the most important tracks of the formative period of dubstep, has grown into a leading player in the wider world of electronic music. features 11 brand-new tracks and takes in a wealth of genres across contemporary dance music, proving once again scuba’s place at the cutting-edge of the electronic music scene.
mark stewart – politics of envy – future noise – lp
– the eighth album by uk post-punk legend mark stewart (the pop group, the new age steppers, mark stewart & the maffia, etc.). features a stellar cast of guest artists such as clash/pil guitarist keith levene, richard hell, lee “scratch” perry, gina birch of the raincoats, slits bassist tessa pollitt, jesus and mary chain bassist douglas hart, factory floor, daddy g of massive attack, and all of primal scream.
vatican shadow – kneel before religious icons – type – lp
– long awaited vinyl transmission from dominick fernow’s (aka prurient) vatican shadow project, that harks back to classic aphex twin, and the industrial functions of ministry.
artie barsamian & his orchestra – shadows in the casbah – kapp – lp
the beatles – sgt peppers lonely hearts club band – capitol – lp (grey/pink splatter vinyl)
the beatles – beatlemania – capitol – lp
jorge ben – creole girl – pablo today – lp
art blakey quartet – a jazz message – mca/impulse – lp
david bowie – heroes – rca – lp
the buzzcocks – singles going steady – irs – lp
the clash – combat rock – epic – lp
jimmy cliff – reggae greats – mango – lp
cocteau twins – blue bell knoll – 4ad – lp
leonard cohen – the best of – columbia – lp
elvis costello – this years model – columbia – lp
elvis costello – my aim is true – columbia – lp
miles davis – sketches of spain – columbia (two eye) – lp
devo – are we not men? – warner – lp
fairport convention – liege & leif – polydor – lp
serge gainsbourg – je t’aime moi non plus – barclay – lp
bengt hambraeus – concrete and synthesizer music – mcgill university – lp
herbie hancock – head hunters – cbs – lp
issac hayes – black moses – enterprise – 2lp
issac hayes – in the beginning – atlantic – lp
rahsaan roland kirk & al hibbler – meeting of the times – atlantic – lp
kraftwerk – man machine – capitol – lp
kraftwerk – radioactivity – capitol – lp
leadbelly – s/t – playboy – lp
los incas – ’71 – select – lp
galt macdermot – woman is sweeter ost – kilmarnock – lp
galt macdermot – mass in f – philips – lp
galt macdermot – cotton comes to harlem ost – united artists – lp
junior mance – live at the top – atlantic – lp
charles mingus – oh yeah – atlantic – lp
roy orbison – singles collection 1965 – 1973 – polydor – lp
wilson pickett – the exciting wilson pickett – atlantic – lp
wilson pickett – the wicked pickett – atlantic – lp
otis redding – sings soul ballads – atco – lp
otis redding – dictionary of soul – atlantic – lp
otis redding – recorded live – atlantic – lp
rolling stones – exile on main street – rolling stones – 2lp
sonny rollins – the bridge – rca – lp
sam & dave – soul men – atlantic – lp
skinny puppy – vivi sect vi – nettwerk – lp
stockhausen – festival of hits – deutsche grammophon – lp
talking heads – more songs about buildings & food – sire – lp
talking heads – remain in light – sire – lp
neil young – freedom – reprise – lp
neil young – harvest – reprise – lp
neil young – hawks & doves – reprise – lp
neil young – live rust – reprise – lp
neil young – old ways – geffen – lp
various – bali musique sacree – cbs – lp
various – brazil classics 1: beleza tropical – sire – lp
various – brazil classics 2: o samba – sire – lp
various – definitive jazz scene volume 3 – impules – lp
various – les itineraires de l’evasion amerique du sud los altiplanos – barclay – lp
various – music from the morning of the world – nonesuch – lp
various – folkways: a vision shared – a tribute to woody guthrie and leadbelly – columbia – lp
ost – a clockwork orange – warner – lp
ost – kung fu – warner bros – lp
ost – murph the surf – motown – lp
and so on……
*brast burn – debon – phoenix – lp
*robert cacciapaglia – ann steel record – half machine – lp
deltron 3030 – s/t – deltron – lp
*ben frost/daniel bjarnason – solaris – bedroom community – lp
general strike – danger in paradise – staubgold – lp
mirrorring – foreign body – kranky – lp
monolake – ghosts – monolake – lp
*swell maps – jane from occupied europe – secretly canadian – lp
*swell maps – a trip to marineville – secretly canadian – lp
tortoise – standards – thrill jockey – lp
chad van gaalen – diaper island – flemish eye – lp
*war on drugs – slave ambient – secretly canadian – lp
*pari zangeneh – series of music for youths – ks – lp
*various – bombshell baby – bombay connection – cd
*various – son cubano nyc – honest jons – lp
thanks for listening….
10443a – 124 street