well would you look at that… i guess even though it’s not really snowing out there, the winter delivery delays have begun… so nearly all of this is in tomorrow… some is here, but most is due tomorrow. so, well, see you tomorrow?
…..pick of the week…..
just in time for halloween!!!
*john carpenter & alan howarth – halloween II – death waltz – lp
– “john carpenter and alan howarth managed to do something not many people have been able to do with their score to halloween II. they managed to take the blueprint of the first films score and make it bigger, darker and nerve shreddingly intense. synths wail and stutter as the score progresses to the point where you feel your head might implode from the oncoming onslaught. this score really should be played late at night with all of the lights out. all new artwork by brandon schaefer. sleeve notes by alan howarth and brandon schaefer. includes an a2 poster of the cover art in a variant color.”
*john carpenter & alan howarth – halloween III – death waltz – lp
– “you have to bow down before john carpenter and alan howarth. their score for halloween III is so far ahead of its time it’s mind boggling. halloween III is a tour de force of experimental synth tones, intense melodies and dark, brooding mood pieces. this is one of my favorite scores of all time and i am honored to have the chance to release it. re-mastered by alan howarth. all new artwork by jay shay. sleeve notes by alan howarth and jay shaw. includes an a2 poster.”
*shadow ring – remains unchanged – kye – lp
– got this in a couple of weeks ago and it’s hardly left my tunrtable so now that there’s more in stock…. “remains unchanged is the long-time-coming archival overview of the shadow ring. spanning the full decade of their existence, remains unchanged offers an alternate account of the group’s labor, told through 20 never-before-heard tracks across twolps. from the lumbering monotony of 1993’s ‘squawk with me’ to the funeral glory of 2003’s ‘and what if,’ remains unchanged grants the listener rare access to the secret history of cheriton’s greatest underground export. mastered from the original tapes by jason lescalleet, remains unchanged arrives in a full color high gloss gatefold sleeve, with fold-out wall poster in an edition of 1000 copies.” awesome.
*= staff picks
hasil adkins – evening shadow road – nero’s neptune – lp
– “near the end of his life, adkins met amy krueger. they fell in love. hasil wrote a bunch of songs for amy, and recorded them at home in west virginia. it took a while after hasil’s death before amy felt emotionally equipped to deal with the project but here, at last, is the album. this is hasil at his most soulful and tender, like you have never heard him before. you think you know hasil adkins, but you might be wrong.”
mahmoud ahmed – accompanied by ibex band – mississippi – lp
– “mahmoud ahmed’s first lp reissued on vinyl for the first time. early hypnotic heavy songs by one of ethiopia’s greatest artists. mahmoud’s voice is one of the most powerful in the world and on this lp it is in full force. a true masterpiece. part two in our series of lp’s of material culled from the monumental ethiopiques cd series. old school ‘tip on’ cover.”
bardo pond – yntra – latitudes – lp
– “bardo pond are a band who don’t so much let their music wash over you in all its beauty as tangle you up in it to the point where you become completely eclipsed by them. the resulting session seems to tie up everything their fans love about them so much; from the elaboration of the densest, textural landscapes to moments of pure, ecstatic clarity. yntra is a brilliant distillation of what the band do best into just three epic tracks. still incredibly thick with their battery of guitars and unrelenting signature groove riding merrily along underneath, bardo pond, true to their name, manage to balance their sound exquisitely between polar extremes.”
john cale – shifty adventures in nookie wood – double six – lp
– a founding member of the seminal band the velvet underground, a member of the rock and roll hall of fame and has a 50 plus year career that runs the gamut from classical to rock to experimental to electronic. shifty adventures his 16th solo album. the result of sessions held in his Los Angeles studio. with days spent experimenting with mpcs, pounding fists onto pianos, manipulating glitches and lots of signature viola drone while patiently waiting for songs to reveal themselves. there was also a spontaneous session with danger mouse that resulted in the opening track.
*john carpenter – prince of darkness – death waltz – lp
– finally back in stock… “this is undoubtedly one of carpenters darkest and most underrated films and the score complements the images perfectly. in fact, this has to be one of the most understated, atmospheric and downright scary soundtracks ever made. carpenter and howarth keep it simple with oodles of tension. listen to this late at night in the dark and you won’t be going to sleep anytime soon!”
converge – all we love we leave behind – epitaph – cd
– converge have cemented their place in a genre they helped create, consistently listed among hard music’s most influential and important bands. now with their new epitaph album all we love we leave behind, converge continue to build on their devoted base. vinyl some day….
daphni – jiaolong – merge – cd
– jiaolong (pronounced jow-long), an album of shape-shifting work, marks the first full length by dan snaith (aka caribou) as daphni. throughout his six-month global radiohead support tour, dan snaith has fallen deeper in love with the dance floor. snaith says, “djs have the potential to blindside you. during the time i was making the caribou album swim, i’d fallen back in love with moments in small, dark clubs when a dj puts on a piece of music that not only can you not identify, but that until you heard it you could not have conceived of existing.” jiaolong sits easily with the kinetic likes of theo parrish and floating points and is sure to be seen as one of the best records of 2012, both in the dance community and beyond.
falklands – cold favour – clamour – lp
– new album from these local boys! download and all that junk.
goat – world music – rocket – lp
– goat is a collective of musicians who hail from a small and very remote village called korpilombolo in deepest, darkest sweden. legend has it that for centuries, the inhabitants of the village of korpilombolo were dedicated to the worship and practices of voodoo. this was until their non-christian ways were discovered by the church and they were burned out by the crusaders, the survivors cursing the village over their shoulders as they fled. to this day, the now picturesque village of korpilombolo is still haunted by this voodoo curse; the power of the curse can be felt throughout the grooves of this goat record. the band takes in many influences, from the afro-groove that is central to the album, through to head-nodding psych, post-punk, turkish rock, kraut repetition and astral folk.
robert hampson – signaux – editions mego – lp
– after the répercussions, robert hampson returns with two vinyl lps released simultaneously. on signaux, hampson sets up a rich tapestry of needle-like high frequencies and subtle bass spreads, expertly woven into two side-long pieces. “signaux one” is a two-channel mix of an eight-channel diffusion at planétarium ecm mendes france, poitiers in 2012, whereas “signaux 2” is a new composition, made specifically for this release. no computer manipulations are used. a computer is only utilized as a recording and editing device for the compositions.
robert hampson – suspended – editions mego – lp
– suspended cadences is a series of live improvisations for analog electronics and guitar lasting a duration of 20 minutes each. each performance is given a number and it can be based either in concert or the studio. two variations of the same theme are presented here. “(three)” is a majestic, uplifting, high-velocity stormer of a set, which shows hampson’s improvising skills coming into full force. if “(three)” is the “upper,” then “(four)” could be seen as the “downer,” with its far more concentrated and inward character. another worthy addition to his recent very busy canon of work. no computer manipulations are used in the performances.
*master musicians of bukkake – totem 1 – important – lp
– “vinyl reissue of the impossible to find first release in mmob’s totem trilogy. like a reverse dark side of the new age sound, on the totem series master musicians of bukkake perform ritualistic electric excursions into the outer and inner reaches. relying more on the electric power of psyched guitars, analog synth chants, and exotic heavy percussion, totem one echoes with the delusions of a west coast death cult. outer spaced gamelan, dusty fuzz rock from celestial deserts, meditations of a deranged krishna gathering, and the blurry acoustic guitar majesty of the cascade mountains all reveal themselves here in epic form on totem one. every sound and note played was put to tape by a group with a singular purging purpose. totem one also features vocals by mmob honorary member alan bishop of the sun city girls.”
matmos – the ganzfeld – thrill jockey – 12″
– “for the past four years matmos have been conducting parapsychological experiments based upon the classic ganzfeld (‘total field’) experiment, but with a twist: instead of sending and receiving simple graphic patterns, test subjects were put into a state of sensory deprivation by covering their eyes and listening to white noise on headphones, and then matmos member drew daniel attempted to transmit ‘the concept of the new matmos record’ directly into their minds.”
musi-o-tunya – wings of africa – now-again – lp
– “musi-o-tunya’s debut album wings of africa, the first independently released pop album in zambia. the realm of western-influenced african music is consistently dominated by such powerhouse names as fela kuti, victor uwaifo, and other west african legends. their 60s and 70s recordings have been reissued by companies like soundway, strut, and analog africa. one can’t possibly hope even to scratch the surface of the continent, however, without giving mention to zambia’s zamrock scene, which, alongside the music that arose in ethiopia in the late 60s and early 70s, is leagues deep and largely misunderstood. musi-o-tunya’s transcendent ability to deal in difficult traditional zambian rhythms, deep funk and unrestrained fuzz rock in equal measure, have made for some amazing albums. this is a must have for any aficionado of world music and psych-funk splendor.”
*rza – the man with the iron fists ost – soul temple – lp
– “quentin tarantino presents the man with the iron fists, an action-adventure inspired by kung fu classics as interpreted by his longtime collaborators rza and eli roth. making his debut as a big-screen director, co-writer and leading man, rza – alongside an exciting international cast led by russell crowe and lucy liu – tells the epic story of warriors, assassins and a lone outsider hero who all descend on one fabled village in china for a winner-takes-all battle for a fortune in gold. ahead of the soundtrack one of rza’s latest ventures, the soul temple imprint, is proud to offer this unique score. and as this is the rza, the score is an exciting experience in and of itself. ”
scientist – best dub album in the world – important – lp
scientist – in the kingdom – important – lp
– “scientist began as king tubby’s protege at tubby’s drumalie avenue studios in kingston (essentially the birthplace of dub) and the best dub album in the world and in the kingdom were two of his first records released under his own name. these classic dub albums are now available remastered and reissued on vinyl for the first time. brand new bass heavy master by scientist. recorded at channel one & mixed at king tubby’s. pressed in an edition of 1000.”
*soggy – slog – memoire neuve – 2lp
– french reissue of this awesome hard rock/punk band. founded in 1978 on the ashes of obscure rock bands from reims (woman bleed, antechrist, hardfuckers, …) starting with covers of alice cooper, black sabbath, mc5, and the stooges, the band quickly wrote its own material and developed a unique style mixing hard rock and punk rock in a stooges vein self labeled “hard wave” to make fun of journalists who had labeled them “hard rock” and even “new wave”. the band rehearsed regularly, recorded its own tracks on many occasions (while rehearsing and in the studio).
andy stott – luxury problems – modern love – lp
– following on from a pair of eps released in 2011 (passed me by/we stay together) andy stott returns to modern love with luxury problems. five of the tracks on the album feature the voice of alison skidmore, andy’s one-time piano teacher whom he hadn’t seen since he was a teenager back in 1996. “numb” opens the album with alison’s voice; layered and looped, but essentially left bare and exposed, tumbling into a dense shuffle, sort of somewhere between theo parrish and sade, but more fucked.
tame impala – lonerism – modular – lp/cd
– sonically lonerism is a quantum leap forward for tame impala, the seeds of which were sown shortly after the mixing of innerspeaker had been completed. it’s most apparent advance is in it’s synthesizers, there’s swathes of them cutting melancosmic shapes across almost every track. there’s still the searing guitar lines, bouldering drums, free bass and of course parker’s voice, but now there’s heavily mournful pads and sunshine lead lines from an army of analogue explorers in the mix.
titus andronicus – local business – xl – lp/cd
– titus andronicus the studious recording project and titus andronicus the raucous touring machine are no longer two distinct beings; there is only titus andronicus, rock and roll band. this is to say, it was recorded primarily live with precious few overdubs, with an elite squad of musicians.
vatican shadow – ornamented walls – modern love – lp
– the most intense, brutal and, in many senses, most substantial work from dominick fernow’s vatican shadow project yet. a hazy and intuitive narrative of sounds that never quite head in the direction you expect, all imbued with an almost feral attitude that’s exhilarating to witness, their limitations (ever noticed how vs tracks end so abruptly? the tape ran out), and their mechanical machine qualities used to devastating effect.
*velvet underground – the verve/mgm albums – sundazed – 5lp box
– featuring rare mono versions of the vu’s first three albums, the superior mono version of nico’s chelsea girl, and a definitive edition of the band’s unfinished fourth album! sourced from the original verve/mgm analog reels and mastered by bob irwin! housed in a beautiful deluxe box with all original lp artwork and two bonus poster inserts!
*gary wilson – lisa wants to talk to you – feeding tube – lp
– vinyl actualization of a gary wilson album originally released on cd in 2008. the second of feeding tube’s wilson retrievals, the label considers this the most solid of gary’s post-revival albums. while it goes in a slightly different musical direction than the deranged porn-lounge inventions of you think you really know me (the classic ’77 lp, heisted in toto by beck during his odelay phase), the naif-ache of the lyrics and the music’s laid-back bowling-alley-funk-thrust reveal unending vistas of pure pleasure.
various – hasabe – mississippi – lp
– “absolutely killer compilation of ethiopian r&b from the golden age of ethiopian music. classic performances by lemma demissew, tlahoun gessesse, sefu yohannes, bahta gebre heywet, teshome meteku, mahmoud ahmed and alemeyahu eshete. all songs never reissued on vinyl before. a nonstop party record that we can recommend without any reservations. the third lp in our continuing series of releases culled from the monumental ethiopiques series.”
*various – tomorrow’s achievements: parry music library 1976-86 – public information – lp
– “this is tomorrow’s achievements, an exclusive public information foray into the canadian library institution, parry music. with access granted by founder john parry, public information have selected twenty-five of their favorite electronic tracks, an early autumn heat-wave of perfect melody. these are the soundtracks to movie car chases never known, lost kid’s tv shows never realized, radio-ads never broadcast, music to make your ears sing for more. a compilation put together piece by piece at public information hq.”
a tribe called quest – low end theory – jive – lp
a tribe called quest – midnight marauders – jive – lp
aggrovators – stones dub – abraham – lp
baroness – yellow & green – relapse – lp
black keys – el camino – nonesuch – lp
black keys – attack & release – nonesuch – lp
*brast burn – debon – phoenix – cd
budos band – s/t – daptone – lp
city & colour – little hell – dine alone – lp
john coltrane – a love supreme – impulse – lp
death grips – the money store – epic – lp
*demdike stare – tryptych – modern love – 3cd
eric dolphy – out to lunch – blue note – lp
*donnie darko ost – death waltz – lp
bob dylan – the tempest – columbia – lp
flaming lips – yoshimi battles the pink robots – warner – lp
flying lotus – until the quiet comes – warp – lp/cd
funkadelic – maggot brain – 4 men with beards – lp
gaslight anthem – american slang – side one dummy – lp
*godspeed you! black emperor – allelujah! don’t bend ascend – constellation – lp
grizzly bear – shields – warp – lp
*group 1850 – mother no-head – pseudonym – 2lp
peter grudzien – the unicorn/garden of love – subliminal – lp
iggy & the stooges – raw power – legacy – lp
king tubby meets scientist – in a midnight rock dub vol. 1 – abraham – lp
love – s/t – sundazed – lp
metallica – s/t – elektra – lp
*metallica – kill ’em all – elektra – lp
*metallica – ride the lightning – elektra – lp
mf doom – mmm… food – rhymesayers – lp
charles mingus – tonight at noon – atlantic – lp
van morrison – astral weeks – rhino – lp
mumford & sons – sigh no more – glassnote – lp
mumford & sons – babel – glassnote – lp
national – boxer – 4ad – lp
old man gloom – no – hydrahead – lp
old man gloom – christmas – hydrahead – lp
augustus pablo – ital dub – clocktower – lp
pearl jam – ten – epic – lp
pearl jam – vs – epic – lp
primus – sailing the seas of cheese – plain – lp
purity ring – shrines – last gang – lp/cd
radiohead – pablo honey – emi – lp
radiohead – ok computer – emi – lp
*rangda – formerly extinct – drag city – lp/cd
reigning sound – time bomb high school – in the red – lp
*ty segall – twins – drag city – lp/cd
*sensations fix – time to decide – mirumir – lp
shout out out out – spanish moss and total loss – nrmls wlcm – lp/cd
smiths – hateful of hollow – rhino – lp
smiths – the queen is dead – rhino – lp
sonics – here are the sonics – norton – lp
spiritualized – ladies & gentlemen we are floating in space – plain – lp
*taj mahal travellers – august 1974 – phoenix – 2lp
moe tucker – i feel so far away: anthology 1973-1998- sundazed – 3lp
velvet underground – live volume 1 – verve – lp
white stripes – white blood cells – thirdman – lp
wilco – yankee hotel foxtrot – nonesuch – lp
wilco – wilco (the album) – nonesuch – lp
thom yorke – the eraser – xl – lp
neil young – after the gold rush – reprise – lp
neil young – greatest hits – reprise – lp
neil young – s/t – reprise – lp
neil young – live at massey hall – reprise – lp
*various – buttons: starter kit – numero – lp
*various – eccentric soul: big mack – numero – lp
*various – eccentric soul: deep city – numero – lp
*various – eccentric soul: smart’s palace – numero – lp
*various – eccentric soul: nickle & penny labels – numero – lp
*various – forge your own chains – now again – lp
thanks for listening…
10443a – 124 street