considering the sheer amount of stuff in last week, it should come as no surprise that there’s a lot less this week, but still some really sweet stuff in this week. perhaps you are coming over to the ‘hood tonight to check out the launch of the 124 street grand market up the road on 108th ave, if so you should drop by the shop after and peruse the stacks….
…..pick of the week…..
*suzanne ciani – voice of packaged souls – dead-cert – lp
– in tomorrow! “the inquisitive minds behind pre-cert home entertainment and finders keepers combine to bring you the results of some of their most subaqueous vinyl, tape and film excavations yet for this brand-new label: dead-cert. taking the combined obsessions of all its collaborators and applying it to an intensive research model investigating vintage outsider music, sound sculpture, spoken word, ethnological documents, art-trash, early computer music, neotantrik music, tape manipulation, non-pop and vinyl voyeurism, the label aims to investigate and recontextualize previously un-heard recordings from sources that transcend and eclipse the limitations of the record-collecting trend and the commercial music industry. all scheduled recordings are pressed on vinyl lps mastered in accordance with the original creators’ instructions and cut at the most relevant volume and playing speed, duplicated in modest quantities and housed in a variety of bespoke or homemade packaging, faithful to the original pressings. the first archival release on the label is a new pressing of an original vinyl run of around 50 copies only made in 1970 for an art gallery exhibition in brussels documenting a sound sculpture collaboration between hard material artist harold paris and fledgling electronic composer susan (suzanne) ciani. this original limited gift/art-artifact is officially the rarest tangible recording of ciani’s music, who is now recognized in the press as “the delia derbyshire of the atari generation” on account of her groundbreaking developments in the commercial evolution of synthesizer music as one of a small number of female composers in the field. paris created an original mylar cover for the album, which is now an almost impossible-to-find collector’s item. ciani produced this, her first album, at radio station kpfa in berkeley, ca, where she was given access to the tape machines from midnight until 6 am, gratis. she owns only one copy of this work in its original vinyl form. made in an edition of 1,000 copies only, housed in individually screen-printed silver foil sleeves faithful to the original pressing.” (sorry, can’t find a clip of this one…)
(* indicates staff picks)
best coast – the only place – mexican summer – cd
– now in on cd… “their second album finds the proudly suthern californian duo of bethany cosentino and bobb bruno maturing in both their sound and perspective. while crazy for you was a nostalgic tribute to teenage feelings, this new album finds front woman cosentino transitioning into adulthood, with the feeling of uncertainty and self-doubt at the emotional center of the album.”
burial – street halo/kindred – beat – cd
– “one-off repressing of the limited cd compiling both of burial’s steet halo and kindred eps, originally produced exclusively for the japanese domestic market. all six tracks in their full length versions, totaling 50 minutes of music not previously available on cd, packaged in full size jewel case with japanese obi-strip overlay.”
*the damned – machine gun etiquette – drastic plastic – lp
– their third album, ‘machine gun etiquette’ was the album that brought the damned into the uk charts and opened up their music to millions more than hard core punk fans. ironically, the massive hit from the album was “smash it up” – as punk as you could possibly get!
flashback # 1 – mag
– in tomorrow. flashback is a new full-color quarterly music magazine, covering ’60s and ’70s music in detail. edited by richard morton jack (co-founder of sunbeam records and editor of the galactic ramble and endless trip books). includes: mad river; david axelrod; linda hoyle & affinity; “the 100 most under-rated guitarists of the 60s & 70s”; and more…
lightning hopkins – dirty house blues – not now – 2lp
– 28 classics from the legendary texas bluesman, spread over 2 hunks of 180 gram vinyl and packaged in a gatefold sleeve.
mf doom – operation doomsday – metal face – 2lp
– in tomorrow. “this special edition 2lp package comes housed in an all new exclusive jacket featuring doom’s infamous metal mask icon ebbossed out of a metallic silver foil. each record is pressed on special ‘gun metal’ colored vinyl. the long awaited reissue of doom’s first solo gem, remastered from the original fondle ’em 1999 issue.
jonas munk – pan – el paraiso – lp
– in tomorrow. this is the first solo effort from jonas munk released under his own name. with pan‘s motorik analog synthesizer patterns and its warm, fuzzy drones, the influence from 1970s german synthesizer and new age music, such as early kraftwerk, ashra and popol vuh, is apparent from the first note. but there’s also definite traits of american styles running through this album, from the flowing optimism of alice coltrane and terry riley to the modern-day psychedelia of comets on fire and bardo pond. pan is all about analog machines, 30+ year-old synthesizers, detuned guitars and heavily-cranked vacuum tube amplifiers weaving together in fuzzy, pulsating glory.
conor oberst & the mystic valley band – one of my kind – team love – cd+dvd
– phil shaffart was not hired by conor oberst to make the film ‘one of my kind’. he was hired to make sure the guitars stayed in tune. but phil had a video camera with him as the mystic valley band came together for the first time at valle mistico in tepoztlan, mexico in january of 2008 and so he started filming what he sensed was something special, capturing the evolution of a group of musicians that started out as not much more than an idea for a different way to make a record and ended up being a fully realzied rock band. to accompany this, eleven songs are added from the outtakes of both mystic valley sessions on cd and 180 gram vinyl. vinyl soon.
arvo part – tabula rasa – vinyl passion – 2lp
– concerto for two violins, prepared piano and chamber orchestra (1977), as well as symphonies from 1964 and 1966.
sonny rollins – saxophone colossus/tenor madness – not now – 2lp
– sonny rollins’ 1956 classic ‘saxophone colossus’ accompanied by another classic from the same year, ‘tenor madness’.
nina simone – my baby just cares for me – not now – 2lp
– 20 tracks from the much loved (and difficult to classify!) singer/pianist on 2 180 gram lp’s. packaged in a gatefold sleeve, the collection includes classics like “i loves you porgy”, “my baby just cares for me”, “black is the color of my true love’s hair”, “summertime”, “he’s got the whole world in his hands”, and many more.
sleepy sun – spine hits – the end – lp
– recorded under the big skies of the california high desert, the jams on ‘spine hits’ are alternatingly precision whittled and moodily muscular. guitars adroitly move from steamroller heavy to beachside airy and bouncing to interstellar – tinkering with texture and dynamics like never before. the rhythm section is a super-cohesive, tricky, and tough-as-hell unit that keeps the sleepy train on track as it teeters, creeps and runs wild across the land.
spectrum – soul kiss – vinilisssimo – lp
– in tomorrow. after the break-up of spacemen 3, sonic boom formed spectrum with guitarist richard formby and bassist mike stout, along with a number of collaborators. their 1992 debut lp, soul kiss (glide divine), explored sonic boom’s trademark sound further into a soulful, blissed-out state and stands as one of the highlights in his discography. reissued on vinyl for the first time. limited edition of 1,000 copies on 180 gram vinyl.
squarepusher – ufabulum – warp – 2lp+cd
– in tomorrow… “presented as a limited edition deluxe vinyl release, the 2lp comes boxed and decorated in glow-in-the-dark ink and individually sleeved with a 12 page 12” booklet, album download card and three track cdep, enstrobia. widely heralded as a ‘return to form’ legendary electronic artist squarepusher has designed his latest lp as the next stage in his iconic lineage and as an awe inspiring live show.”
*witch – havoc – now again – 4cd
– in tomorrow. “the complete works of zambia’s legendary garage, psych, prog, funk, afro-rock ensemble. 1972-1977. witch’s five albums and rare 7″ tracks presented as a 4cd box set, restored and remastered from the original tapes. contains a twenty-four page booklet with never before seen photos and ephemera; extensive liner notes and annotation; an interview with bandleader ‘jagari’ chanda.” vinyl version soon!
*various – spiritual jazz vol 2 – jazzman – cd
– in tomorrow. “a heady mix; stirring jazz overtures with orchestra and choir, festival performances recorded live from the grassy heartlands of central europe, modal montages inspired by pilgrimages to asia and africa, experiments in rhythm and sound where modern jazz meets traditional balkan and flamenco folk music. this is spiritual jazz, european-style. all tracks fully licensed and digitally restored from the original master tapes. 16-page color booklet with in-depth liner notes, album cover scans and previously-unpublished photographs.”
actress – r.i.p. – honest jon’s – lp
*ash ra tempel – s/t – mg art – cd
*carol of harvest – s/t – guerssen – lp
*earth – angels of darkness I – southern lord – cd
*earth – angels of darkness II – southern lord – lp/cd
florence & the machine – lungs – island – lp
howlin’ wolf – moanin’ in the moonlight – chess – lp
*shin jung hyun – beautiful rivers & mountains – light in the attic – lp
joy division – les bains douches – get back – 2lp
madvillian – madvilliany – stones throw – lp
mastodon – remission – relapse – lp
mastodon – leviathan – relapse – lp
*necks – mindset – recommended – lp
nirvana – nevermind – geffen – lp
*oneohtrix point never – replica – software – lp
*david orphan – songs for hannah henley – pre-cert – lp
p.s. i love you – death dreams – paper bag – lp
*annette peacock – i’m the one – future days – lp
radiohead – in rainbows – tbd – lp
*ike reiko – kokotsu no sekai – bamboo – lp
sun ra – angels & demons – saturn – lp
sun ra – strange strings – saturn – lp
sun ra – sound sun pleasure – saturn – lp
sun ra – my brother wind volume 2 – saturn – lp
sun ra – bad & beautiful – saturn – lp
*this heat – s/t – this is – cd
timber timbre – creep on creepin’ on – arts & crafts – lp
velvet underground – loaded – cotillion – lp
*volcano the bear – golden rhythm – rune grammofon – lp
tom waits – mule variations – anti – lp
tom waits – real gone – anti – lp
neil young & crazy horse – live in san francisco – vinyl passion
zomby – where were u in ’92? – cult – lp
*various – bipp – born bad – lp
*various – killed by death #2 – kbd – lp
thanks for listening….
10443a – 124 street